As the cold weather begins to roll in (already here in Calgary) I invite you to stay warm with my Creamy Chicken Chili. The recipe is really a meal in a bowl with chicken, white beans, peppers, sweet corn all in a velvety broth with a little heat. Make your Creamy Chicken Chili ahead of time and put it in the fridge so the flavours meld together to warm our insides like a cozy warm scarf on a cold fall morning.
Creamy Chicken Chili
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
3 cups chicken broth + more if needed
1/2 cup white wine
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon dried cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 28 oz can navy beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
2 cups milk
1/3 cup all purpose flour
Optional toppings: fresh cilantro, shredded cheese like monterey jack or old cheddar, diced jalapenos, tomatoes, whatever you like.
- Heat your dutch oven on medium heat, add oil and then onions. Stir constantly and cook for approximately 3 minutes until onions begin to soften.
- Add in minced garlic and chicken and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, wine, spices, peppers, beans and corn and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk and flour and add to chili and continue heating until it begins to thicken. To insure there are no clumps you can pour mixture through a strainer into your pot.
- Taste and season chili with extra salt and/or cayenne if you like it spicy. Add additional broth if your chili gets too thick.
- Garnish with favorite toppings just before serving or let your family add their own.