Time to dust off your waffle maker for Christmas morning. You can make the batter ahead of time and keep in the fridge until you are ready to cook the waffles. Made with mostly whole wheat flour, ground flax seed and a small amount of oil you can feel good about serving this recipe to your family. Double the recipe for a larger crowd; in our house a single version makes 11 square waffles in my new All Clad Waffle maker or 6 waffles in our old circle shaped waffle maker.
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 tablespoon sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl whisk together flours, flax seed, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients in the large bowl and stir together with a spatula just until combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat your waffle maker. I like to brush mine with a little bit of butter for the first batch. Using a large ice cream or muffin scoop add the batter to your waffle maker and cook until golden brown.