I assume this happens in many homes. No one wants to finish that last bit of cereal in the bag because most of it is broken up into crumbs. Sometimes I am amazed at how much gets wasted in the bottom of the box and it is not because we have somehow crunched them up ourselves. Well, the next time you have some Bran Flakes or even Raisin Bran cereal that no one wants to eat, save it and use it for this recipe – Blueberry Bran Muffins.
Blueberry Bran Muffins (Makes 16 medium muffins)
1 ¼ cup buttermilk
½ cup all bran buds
1 ½ cups bran flakes cereal
¾ cup white sugar
½ cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¼ cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 cup wild blueberries (frozen work well)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tin with papers or grease. If using black muffin pans or you live in Calgary set temperature to 350 degrees.
- Measure buttermilk in a large measuring cup and add bran buds – set aside.
- In a large bowl combine bran flakes, sugar, flours (reserving ¼ cup of flour if using frozen blueberries), baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together oil and egg. Combine with buttermilk and bran buds.
- Add buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Gently stir in fresh blueberries.
- For frozen berries – stir together ¼ cup flour with frozen blueberries to coat and gently stir into the batter. This will help prevent the muffins from turning completely purple.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a toothpick in the centre of a muffin comes out clean. If baking 2 pans at one time rotate after 10 minutes.