It is always the case – summer is done too soon. Enjoy the last few days in the outside with these burgers on the barbeque. Each recipe will make 4 burgers and your kids won’t even taste the zucchini. Our family has now graduated to 1 1/4 lb of meat for 5 burgers so I find it easiest to get this at the butcher, we have even tried ground turkey breast for a leaner option. The turkey burgers go great with sweet potato fries or corn and a salad like the “Apple Celery Salad.”
1 package of lean ground turkey meat (500 grams or 1 lb)
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup minced red onion
3/4 cup zucchini grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4-5 whole wheat buns
- To prepare add all ingredients in a large bowl.
- With clean hands mix together all ingredients and divide into 4 portions.
- Form each portion into a patty about 1.5 cm thick.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer covered until ready to cook.
- Preheat barbeque grill to high.
- Reduce temperature to medium low and grill burgers 6-8 minutes per side until cooked through and internal temperature reads 165 degrees.
- Always use fresh ground meats for burgers and meatballs and they will stay together better.
- Freezing your turkey burgers for an hour or 2 before cooking helps keep them together on the barbeque.
- Kids will love to get their hands right into the meat mixture so make sure sleeves are rolled up and hands are clean before and after. It helps if the adult can keep clean hands to help with containers, parchment paper, etc…