Many cheesecake recipes are made in a 9 or 10 inch spring form pan and end up to be a large deep dish pie. In this recipe you bake the cake in an 8 inch cake pan and it is the perfect size cut into 8 or 10 slices. This size cake doesn’t have to be cooked as long and therefore should not brown or crack before it is set in the centre. A pan with a removable base is the easiest option or line a cake pan with parchment paper.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1 lb cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup ricotta cheese at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg room temperature
2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and if your pan does not have a removable base then line it with parchment paper.
- Using electric mixers beat together 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup icing sugar until light in colour about 4 minutes.
- Blend in 1 cup flour and baking powder until the dough begins to come together in small pieces.
- Press the crust into your pan until it is evenly distributed.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for approximately 12-15 minutes until the crust is a golden colour. Set aside to cool.
- While your crust is baking prepare the filling. With your beaters in a clean bowl mix the cream cheese until light and smooth.
- Add the ricotta cheese and sugar and continue to beat until light and smooth. Scrape the bottom of the bowl to make sure there are no lumps.
- Beat in egg, lemon zest, lemon juice. Then mix in your 1 tablespoon flour.
- Pour into your pan with the cooled crust.
- Put a large roasting pan with a few inches of water on the lower rack in your oven to create a humid environment for your cake.
- Bake your cheesecake for 50 minutes or until the cake is almost fully set. Remove to a rack and cool. While your cake is cooling run a thin knife around the outside of your cake making sure it does not stick to the pan and crack. Once cooled refrigerate until serving at least 6 hours or overnight.