Make your own taco seasoning with this recipe and cut down on salt and other preservatives. Kids love this part. One recipe makes a double batch of the seasoning so you have some for another day or double it to keep extra in the cabinet. Have the kids work with spices on a baking tray so there is less mess on the counter to clean.
Taco Seasoning Mix from “allrecipes.com” (makes enough for 2 recipes of Tacos):
Combine in a small bowl - use 4 teaspoons for Taco recipe and save the remaining 4 teaspoons for another time.
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 lb of lean ground beef
1 jar of passata (approx. 700 ml)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 can (14-19 oz) black beans – rinsed and drained
Taco shells – soft or hard
shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese (4.5 oz)
romaine lettuce – finely chopped
sour cream, salsa, diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro and avocado or guacamole
- In a 12 inch sauté pan cook beef over medium heat, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink – about 5 minutes. Drain off fat in a colander with running water and return to the pan.
- Add pureed tomatoes, 4 teaspoons of taco seasoning mix (from recipe above), pumpkin, black beans and simmer until thick – approximately 20 minutes.
- While meat is simmering chop lettuce and grate the cheese.
- Add warm meat mixture to the taco shells and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 10 minutes.
- Then add your desired toppings and enjoy!!